Digi has a confession to make. She has an addiction to ebook reading devices…a really BAD addiction. Whenever Digi hears about a new device that has hit the market, she can’t wait to get her paws on it and find out how it works and how best to download her All Romance ebooks to it. And those fascinating devices just keep coming!
One device that has eluded her clutches for some time is the Nook Color. But now thanks to the help of a trusty friend, Digi has the low down, the skinny, and the 411 on this wonderful ereader, and she’s going to share her newly acquired knowledge with all the Nook-loving readers out there so that they can have a joyful and relaxing time downloading ebooks from All Romance/OmniLit.
First, Digi wants to point out that the Nook Color is capable of opening five formats that are offered on All Romance/OmniLit: Epub, Adobe Acrobat, Secure Adobe, Secure Adobe Epub and HTML. The only major format that the Nook cannot open is Mobipocket, but very few books are offered in Mobipocket only. That means Nook customers can download almost any book on the All Romance/OmniLit website. Pretty cool, huh!
Direct Download of Adobe Acrobat, Epub and HTML files
As long as you have your Nook Color hooked up to a WiFi connection, you can access your ARe/Omni Library and download files directly to the Nook.
- Using the Nook’s browser, go to the ARe/Omnilit webpage and login to your account. Go to “My Library” to access the ebook download links.
- Tap on the download link for the format you want to download. In general, Epub is the best first choice, but Adobe Acrobat and HTML will work as well. The download will begin immediately, and a notification pop-up will show when the download is completed.
- Go to the My Downloads section of the “My Stuff” folder on the device to locate the book file.
- Tap on the book listing to open the file and presto! Your wonderful new ebook opens for your reading pleasure.
Direct Download of Secure Adobe Epub files
The Nook Color can download Secure Adobe Epub files from OverDrive directly to the device. However, if the book is coming from ebook.lightningsource.com, which you’ll see in the webpage address when you click on the download link, then you will need to download the file to Adobe Digital Editions on your computer and transfer to the Nook instead. See the next section for detailed instructions.
- For Secure Adobe Epub files from OverDrive, the download process is similar to the one for regular format files, but when you tap on the Secure download link in your Library, you will be taken to the download landing page with a “click here” to download link. Note: Before you download Secure Adobe Epub format files for the first time, you will need to authorize your Nook to an Adobe ID (the same ID you use to open Secure files with Adobe Digital Editions on your computer) and install the free OverDrive Media Console app. The free app is available in the Nook App store. If you do not yet have an Adobe ID, you can register for one on the Adobe website.
- Tap the “click here” link to begin the download. The first time that you use OverDrive to open a Secure file, you will be asked to authorize the app to your Adobe ID. If you have an Adobe ID that you have already used to authorize your Nook and/or your computer, use the same ID to authorize OverDrive by selecting the “Settings” button. If you do not have an Adobe ID yet, select the “Get ID” button.
- Enter your Adobe ID (email address) and Adobe password into the text boxes and click “Authorize”.
- OverDrive Media console will open…
- …and then OverDrive will be happy to show you your new book!
Transferring Files From a Computer
The best program for transferring files from a computer to the Nook is Adobe Digital Editions. If you do not yet have Digital Editions installed on your computer, you can download it from the Adobe website. You will need to authorize Digital Editions to your Adobe ID in order to open Secure Adobe or Secure Adobe Epub files. You can also open Adobe Acrobat and Epub files in Digital Editions.
- Download the file(s) you want to transfer to your Nook and open them in Digital Editions so that they are showing on your bookshelf. If you’re unsure how to open Secure files in Digital Editions, check out Digi’s post on that topic.
- Plug your Nook Color into the computer using the USB cable and turn the device on. It will appear as a “MyNookColor” bookshelf in the left side menu in Digital Editions. Drag and drop the book(s) you want to transfer from the bookshelf on the right to the “MyNookColor” bookshelf listing on the left. You will see a green plus (+) symbol appear as you move the file and drop it onto the “MyNookColor” listing.
- The book(s) will transfer to the Nook Color device. Eject the device, then go to the Digital Editions folder in the “My Stuff” menu. Open the folder and then tap on the ebook icon for the book you want to open.
- The Complete Action Using window will open. Select “Reader”.
- Voila! You’re off and reading.
Filed Under: DigiMonkey eBook Tips