If you work with computers long enough, eventually you will have a device that suffers a hard drive crash or a motherboard failure, which leads to the need for a new computer. This can be a stressful time, and Digi hears from customers who are panicked because they don’t know how to safely transfer their Secure Adobe and Secure Epub files from their old computer to the new one. But never fear! Digi has step by step instructions that will insure that your Secure files arrive safely in their new home.
Setting up the New Computer
Before the files can be transferred, you must install Adobe Digital Editions on the new computer.
- Download the free software from the Adobe website.
- Authorize Digital Editions to the same Adobe ID that was used to authorize Digital Editions on the old computer. This step is the most critical! If you authorize Digital Editions to a new Adobe ID instead of the old one, none of your old Secure files will open, as they are tied to the old ID.
Saving files using a USB drive
Note: You can also save files using an external hard drive. Follow the manufacturers instructions for your device and locate the same files as specified below.
Whether you’re transferring files to a new computer or not, Digi strongly recommends saving all your ebook files to a portable device such as a USB drive so that you will have a backup copy if your computer suddenly crashes.
- Plug the USB drive into the old computer.
- Go to the Documents folder on your computer and locate the Digital Editions folder. This is where all the Secure EPUB and PDF files you’ve added to Adobe Digital Editions actually live.
- Open the Digital Editions folder.
- Drag and drop the EPUB and PDF files to the USB drive listing (the one showing the eject icon) in the left hand menu of the open window.
- The files will be copied to the USB drive. Eject the USB drive from the old computer.
Transferring Saved Files to Digital Editions on the New Computer
- Plug the USB drive into the new computer.
- Open Digital Editions.
- Click on “Library” in Digital Editions, and then “Add Item to Library”.
- Locate the USB drive in the window that opens, and click on the EPUB or PDF listing for the book you want to add.
- Digital Editions will import the file from the USB drive, then save and display it in the Digital Editions Library.
If the Old Computer is Inaccessible (DOA)
Digi’s an optimist, and she wants to believe that everyone is in the habit of making regular backups of all ebook files so that, even if a computer suffers a sudden death, those valuable ebook files will be safely stored on a portable device. However, she’s also enough of a realist to know that some people never get around to backing up their ebook files. When that unfortunate situation occurs and the old computer is gone, long gone, there may still be a chance to recover some of the old Secure files.
- Follow the steps for setting up Digital Editions on the new computer, and then login to your All Romance account using the new computer and go to “My Library”.
- Click on the Secure download link showing in your Library for the book you want to re-download. If the book is still available for download, then follow the prompts to save and open the file in Digital Editions.
- If you receive an error message that states the book cannot be downloaded, then it’s time to contact Digimonkey and her staff for assistance. Go to the Help section and Submit a Support Ticket and explain your dilemma so Digi can research the situation and see if there’s any way to recover the Secure file.
And now that all your books are safely tucked into their new home, you can sit back, relax, and enjoy a good read!
Filed Under: DigiMonkey eBook Tips